Monday, March 16, 2009

Hotel, Botel, Holiday Inn...


One of the things I was really looking forward to was the Botel Zebra - our boat hostel. It did not disappoint. Sure, it was cramped and I think the owner opened the porthole in the shower one day so when we woke in the morning, the entire room was covered in condensation which made both of our Chucks rip and give us blisters, but it was so worth it! It makes my lifelong goal of living on a houseboat much more intense.


So, the houseboat means we are in Amsterdam for a few days! We just walked for the first night, took a few photos and shopped for souvenirs. These houses are leaning... The whole city is beautiful.


Tim wanted to take me to the Leidseplein (which is not pronounced Led Zeppelin - as much as we wish it was). We got lost on the way, and didn't have our map, so we broke down and took a cab. We ate at the Pancake House, and I had my first Dutch meal - chicken sate. It was delicious!


Since I can't survive for more than a few hours without candy, we stopped at a shop and explored the specialty candy they had there. There were all sorts of strange things including dirty sounding ice cream bars and a weird bag of a powdery candy that had a picture of a bear on it. We tried a few things, but I had to get some of my favorite "sappige peer" Jelly Belly jelly beans to make sure I was good for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment